Kontera

Monday, April 1, 2013

Meal Stretcher Monday: Check the Unit Price

For Easter I was going to make risotto (If you are unfamiliar, it's a creamy sort of rice dish from northern Italy).  This requires a special kind of short grain rice called arborio rice.  It has a high starch content, which gives the dish it's creamy texture (there's no actual cream in the dish).

Walmart ain't the right place to get arborio rice.  They don't exactly offer higher end international stuff.

Off to the local co-op.  I found several brands and sizes .  Usually, I buy in larger packages because it winds up cheaper in the long run, but I noticed something...odd.  I took pictures for you.  See if you can figure out what's wrong.

       



This first was a package of 17.6 oz for $3.49.  (Unit price = $3.17 per pound).


Next, was this one for $2.79, but had only 12 oz in it.  (Unit price = $3.72 per pound).



Finally, I saw this nice big package of 36 oz for $8.99. (Unit price = $4.00 per pound).

Did you figure it out yet?

WHY IS THE BULK PACKAGE MORE EXPENSIVE PER POUND?!

Yeah.  I bought the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment