Kontera

Monday, May 13, 2013

Meal Stretcher Monday: Taco Seasoning Mix

My lips are on fire.  Allow me explain: Tonight is Burrito Night.

Mmm.  Burrito Night.

Usually, Husband makes up a meat filling and I make a vegetarian version, but we both add those envelopes of "taco seasoning" that have all sorts of ingredients that I can't pronounce.  I have read in quite a few places that making your own seasoning mixes saves money, and keeps you away from ingredients that you may not want to be ingesting (preservatives, etc.)  

I'm on it!  Tonight's the night I make my own taco/burrito seasoning mix!


A brief search of the internet reveals a lot of recipes.  (Like, a lot.  Apparently, this is a thing).

Tonight, I used this recipe from all recipes.com, but with one minor change (I cut the salt in half).  The recipe was highly rated, and I conveniently had all of the ingredients.  See?

My 3 y.o. son: "Mama, why you have the sneezenings?"


I made a double batch - enough to fill my little 4 oz canning jar.  Here are the amounts I used:

2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 
1 teaspoon paprika
3 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon of salt (half the amount of the original recipe)
2 teaspoons of black pepper (in retrospect, this might have been a mistake)

Pop it all into the jar, seal and shake it like it insulted your family.  Therapeutic.

Look!  It's a jar of awesome!

But how does it taste?  If only tonight happened to be Burrito Night.  Wait...IT IS BURRITO NIGHT!

For the vegetarian burrito filling, I cooked together one package of Morningstar Farms Meal Starters crumbles, half a can of corn, and half a can of black beans.  When cooked, I added two tablespoons of the seasoning.

You're jealous.

In retrospect, that might have been my second mistake.

It was delicious, but HOLY CURSEWORD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!  (Actually, in the interest of accuracy, it faded to a tingling sort of numbness about 20 minutes after eating.  Sort of like nerve damage, but tastier).

I'm thinking next time, one tablespoon will be a better idea.  And sour cream.  Frozen sour cream.

Sweet holy mother of God.

(It is delicious, though).

Oh, fiery goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment