Kontera

Friday, June 22, 2012

Greatest Home Made Fabric Softener

We don't often use fabric softener. Here are the main reasons why:

1) We have enough aggregate allergies for any two other families, so the less stuff on our clothes, the better

2) Fabric softener can leave a residue that makes towels less absorbent, and clogs the lint filter on the dryer

3) I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I'm kinda cheap about buying stuff.

I kept seeing recipes for home made fabric softener showing up on Pinterest. Some use herbs, some use hair conditioner, most use vinegar.

I love vinegar. As it turns out, you can use PLAIN VINEGAR TO SOFTEN CLOTHES.

Here's what you do. Go get a Downy Ball.

You can see that I got mine for $2.26.

Now just put fill to the line with vinegar instead of fabric softener, and chuck it into the wash. It will open during the rinse cycle.



Here's the benefits:

1) Soft clothes

2) Super cheap

3) Removes the residue left behind in your washer by soaps and other fabric softeners

4) Removes residue on towels that can make them less absorbent over time

5) Deodorizes clothes! (This is REALLY helpful if you forgot to switch the wet wash over into the dryer before going to bed last night. Like me).

There's only one drawback: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER DO THIS IN A WASH WITH CHLORINE BLEACH.

You will create chlorine gas and possibly poison yourself. Read this post for more information.

I like you people. I wouldn't want you to get hurt. Let's stay safe out there.

Happy laundering.

No comments:

Post a Comment