Kontera

Monday, July 8, 2013

Meal Stretcher Monday: Stir Fry Sauce!

Necessity is the mother of invention.  And Google.

I was in the middle of making up some yummy, home made stir fry, when I realized that we were totally out of stir fry sauce.  Husband offered to go on a run to the store, but he wouldn't have been back in time.

To the internet!

I came across this recipe on food.com, which looked simple enough - and I had all of the ingredients.  Time to grab a bowl.


I made a couple of minor changes as I went.  This is an easy recipe to customize!

Ingredients:
2-3 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used white sugar and 1 tsp molasses)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced (I had to use 2 tsp garlic powder.  My kitchen really needs restocking!)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar (I used white, but ACV is good, too)
1/2 cup water* (I left this out)
1 1/2 cups broth* (I used one cup of water and 1 cup of water and some Better Than Bullion).

*This sauce was very thin.  I didn't want to spend time waiting for it to cook down (since my veggies were almost cooked), so I cut out a lot of the water, and could have cut still more.

Mix, use what you will, and freeze the rest for future meals. (This made about 3 batches worth for me).


Personalize this!  Make it your own!  Feel in a citrusy mood?  Add some orange juice.  Feeling spicy?  Add some crushed red pepper.  It's a basic sauce, and is a great starting point.

Costs:
Original: one bottle was getting us through 2 big meals and cost about $3.  So $1.50 per use.
DIY version: Nada.  I had all the ingredients.  So, $0.

Man.  The more I learn, the cheaper dinner is becoming!

Do you have a good grocery-saving tip?  Send it in the comments!  If it's really awesome, maybe you can do a guest post!


No comments:

Post a Comment